[squid-users] Squid 5: server_cert_fingerprint not working fine...

David Touzeau david at articatech.com
Sat Nov 19 18:19:20 UTC 2022

Thanks Amos for this clarification,

We also have the same needs and indeed, we face with the same approach.

It is possible that the structure of Squid could not, in some cases,
recovering this type of information.
Although the concept of a proxy is neither more nor less than a big
browser that surfs instead of the client browsers.

The SHA1 and certificate information reception are very valuable because
it ensures better detection of compromised sites (many malicious sites
use the same information in their certificates).
This allows detecting "nests" of malicious sites automatically.

Unfortunately, there is madness in the approach to security, there is a
race to strengthen the security of tunnels (produced by Google and
browsers vendors).
What is the advantage of encrypting wikipedia and Youtube channels?

On the other hand, it is crucial to look inside these streams to detect
threats.
This is antinomic...

So TLS 1.3 and soon the use of QUIC with UDP 80/443 will make use of a
proxy useless as these features are rolled out  (trust Google to
motivate them)
Unless the proxy manages to follow this protocol madness race...

For this reason, firewall manufacturers propose the use of client
software that fills the gap of protocol visibility in their gateway
products or you -can see a growth of workstation protections , such EDR
concept

Just an ideological and non-technical approach...

Regards