[squid-users] Squid Dual HTTP & SOCKS Set-Up

Sneaker Space LTD admin at sneakerspace.co.uk
Tue Nov 8 06:39:59 UTC 2022

Hello everyone,

Can anyone recommend a good setup for a dual HTTP and SOCKS proxy
configuration?

I want to obviously use Squid as the HTTP proxy and I also see that it may
support SOCKS with the correct install binds, however, from my research,
this would likely mean that I need to run two separate processes at the
same time (Squid HTTP and Squid SOCKS) since apparently, SOCKS Squid can't
handle both connections types at the same time.

I am wondering if there is any better solution to this? And if not, can
these processes run off the same configuration, and will the SOCKS Squid
process have the differences i.e is authentication, and logging the same?

Any insight is appreciated here as I am unfamiliar with this kind of set-up
and there isn't much documentation online about it.

Many Thanks,
James