[squid-users] The usage of extended SNMPD commands to monitor squid.

Eliezer Croitoru ngtech1ltd at gmail.com
Tue May 24 07:39:17 UTC 2022

Since the Squid-Cache project doesn't maintain the SNMP part of it as far as
I know I was thinking about:

Using extended SNMPD ie in /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf

extend squid_x_stats /bin/bash /usr/local/bin/squid_x_stats.sh

while the binary itself probably will be a single command/script that will
have symlinks to itself with a different name (like what busybox provides
binaries).

With a set of these commands it would be possible to monitor squid via the
linux SNMPD and the backend would be a script.

To overcome a DOS from the SNMP side I can build a layer of caching in
files.
It would not be like the current squid SNMP tree of-course but as long the
data is there it can be used in any system that supports it.

I have used nagios/cacti/others to create graphs based on this concept.

I am currently working on the PHP re-testing project and it seems that PHP
7.4 is not exploding it's memory and crashes compared to older versions.

I still need a more stressed system to test the scripts.

I have created the next scripts for now:

*	Fake helper
*	Session helper based on Redis
*	Session helper based on FS in /var/spool/squid/session_helper_fs

Eliezer

----

Eliezer Croitoru

NgTech, Tech Support