[squid-users] squid5 Happy Eyeballs - Is it possible to enable IPV4 only or IPV6 only ?

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Tue May 3 13:04:32 UTC 2022

On 5/3/22 02:35, Francesco Chemolli wrote:
> Could tcp_outgoing_address do the deed, forcing a certain source ip or
> ipv4-only interface for some or all requests?

No, not without Squid modifications[1]: Today, tcp_outgoing_address is
consulted _after_ the address family is already decided for the current
connection attempt (by the peer selection algorithms selecting a
specific destination address). We can change that, of course, but
probably not without some backward compatibility headaches.

[1] Unless, perhaps, one abuses tcp_outgoing_address to select an
immediately failing source IP address (e.g., the one Squid cannot bind
to?) as a way to force another attempt (hopefully using another address
family). I do not know whether this hack would work, and suspect it
would depend on which socket operation fails when using the special
"force failure" source IP address.

HTH,

Alex.