[squid-users] Bug: 'squid -k interrupt' quits on config file error, fails to kill process

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Sun Mar 13 22:38:05 UTC 2022

On 3/13/22 17:22, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> On 14/03/22 08:48, Dave Blanchard wrote:
>> OK. Would there be any harm in using 'kill -9 <pid>'? 'kill <pid>'
>> seems to be interpreted as 'take your time, then quit whenever you're
>> ready.'

> Indeed. Busy proxy may have many clients to finish talking to, so there
> is a delay.
>
> Sending the SIGHUP ('kill <pid>') a second time ends that delay and
> Squid will exit quickly.

SIGHUP is a reconfiguration signal. Amos may be thinking about SIGTERM
("squid -k shutdown" signal and "kill" default signal).

>> As long as kill -9 won't potentially cause any inconsistencies in
>> state files or anything like that, I guess I'll do it that way. Thanks.

> "kill -9" will definitely leave some things in an odd state. Try the
> double-kill first.

Just to add: kill -9 will not kill SMP Squid workers and other kid
processes. To a large degree, Squid will just keep running as if nothing
happened -- that signal cannot be caught and processed specially by the
receiving Squid process. Do not use "kill -9 `cat pidfile`" if you are
using SMP Squids!

HTH,