[squid-users] Bug: 'squid -k interrupt' quits on config file error, fails to kill process

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Sun Mar 13 18:12:20 UTC 2022

On 3/13/22 03:22, Dave Blanchard wrote:

> If one has edited the config file and there is some kind of error in
> the new config, 'squid -k interrupt' fails to kill Squid, but instead
> complains about the broken config and exits. I think the correct
> behavior should be for Squid to kill the running process

I would not call the current behavior incorrect -- Squid has the right
to demand a valid configuration file, especially when asked to do
something fairly destructive.

Moreover, killing the running instance correctly depends on certain
squid.conf settings (e.g., pid_filename). Yes, it is technically
possible to teach Squid to ignore errors in all the irrelevant
configuration settings, but that is a very complex feature that Squid is
not ready for. IMO, our scarce resources are best spent elsewhere.

If you need a dumb process killer, use OS process killing tools.