[squid-users] Logrotate question

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at squid.open.source.it
Thu Jun 16 09:31:57 UTC 2022

On Thursday 16 June 2022 at 09:53:02, robert k Wild wrote:

> Hi Antony,
>
> All I know is I need to keep a record of up to 3 months, worth of logs, due
> to gdpr, how would you say I go about this

Here's the standard logrotate file for Squid3 which is installed on Debian (I
doubt that CentOS should be significantly different):

-----
/var/log/squid/*.log {
        daily
        compress
        delaycompress
        rotate 2
        missingok
        nocreate
        sharedscripts
        prerotate
                test ! -x /usr/sbin/sarg-reports || /usr/sbin/sarg-reports
daily
        endscript
        postrotate
                test ! -e /var/run/squid.pid || test ! -x /usr/sbin/squid ||
/usr/sbin/squid -k rotate
        endscript
}
-----

I suggest modifying this for your needs to:

-----
/var/log/squid/*.log {
        monthly
        rotate 4
        missingok
        nocreate
        sharedscripts
        prerotate
                test ! -x /usr/sbin/sarg-reports || /usr/sbin/sarg-reports
daily
        endscript
        postrotate
                test ! -e /var/run/squid.pid || test ! -x /usr/sbin/squid ||
/usr/sbin/squid -k rotate
        endscript
}
-----

Regards,

Antony.

--
Your work is both good and original.  Unfortunately the parts that are good
aren't original, and the parts that are original aren't good.

 - Samuel Johnson

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.