[squid-users] Reloading squid service results in connection resets

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Tue Jun 14 01:04:03 UTC 2022

On 6/13/22 18:35, Toler, Matt wrote:

> That said, it was our understanding that reloading the service would not
> disturb any old connections

That is an oversimplified and somewhat optimistic view. Said that, most
old connections indeed survive reconfiguration in most environments.

> and new connections would receive the new configuration.

That is correct only _after_ Squid starts listening for new connections
again (as your experience can demonstrate).

> We were wondering if anyone else has encountered any
> issues with connection resets of client traffic during squid service
> reload? Or may otherwise have any thoughts on this issue.

The lack of smooth reconfiguration support is a known problem that has
been discussed and is being addressed. Here are a few recent related
discussions:

http://lists.squid-cache.org/pipermail/squid-users/2022-March/024675.html

http://lists.squid-cache.org/pipermail/squid-users/2022-May/024778.html

HTH,