[squid-users] pros/cons squid vs next generation firewall

ngtech1ltd at gmail.com ngtech1ltd at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 20:26:16 UTC 2022

Hey Dieter,

You should differentiate between a SMB level  appliances to a more advanced ones.
The basic difference is simplicity of management via WEBUI.
They also have API but you will need developer level skills for that.
>From my experience with checkpoint they basically have a large DB of applications and threat feeds.
Since you need it for basic ACLs and ICAP virus scanners it's possible that a checkpoint server might be good
for your use case.
You should really compare the goals and the costs in general.
The SMB versions downgrades any HTTP connection to HTTP 1.x so don't expect these to support HTTP2.
I don't know the size of your company but in general the most "famous" vendors for NGFW are:
* CheckPoint
* FortiNet
* Palo Alto
* Sonicwall

There is a price for each product and you should compare all of them and also different versions of them.
Every product in the industry has it's limitations and I have found weaknesses in each and every one of them
and in many others including Squid.

The NGFW Is basically something that Palo Alto invented and all others used this same naming for publicity.
The one big PRO I found in checkpoint is that their support was very responsive.

Specifically in CheckPoint you should look at the:
Known Limitations

Per the firmware version you might be getting for the appliance or server your company might want to purchase.

All The Bests,
Eliezer

----
Eliezer Croitoru