[squid-users] fool windows into thinking it has internet access

robert k Wild robertkwild at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 15:23:23 UTC 2022

hi all,

trying to fool windows it has internet access and not just network access

looking at this guide

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-US/troubleshoot/windows-client/networking/internet-explorer-edge-open-connect-corporate-public-network

i have put in my white list

.msftconnecttest.com
.msftncsi.com

i have whitelisted ports 80 and 443 by default

on my windows client i have enabled the proxy via settings > proxy > manual
proxy setup

and also i have enabled the winhttp proxy putting this in cmd

netsh winhttp set proxy ip_address:port

and i get back a connection test text saying "microsoft connect test" if i
go to

http://www.msftconnecttest.com/connecttest.txt

but my network icon is still saying just network access only not internet
access

can anyone help me out please

thanks,
rob