[squid-users] MS-SQL with squid helpers

ngtech1ltd at gmail.com ngtech1ltd at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 11:45:17 UTC 2022

There is a new mssql driver for linux named:
free_tds

Which is superior to ODBC which perl mostly uses in the DBI library.
It's pretty simple to install free_tds and from my tests it seems like the better choice.
I will try to write an example for session helper using free_tds and ruby.
For me Ruby is the simplest to write, test and use with such simple and tiny projects.
It's not worth writing it in other languages unless there is server component to the service.
It's possible to write more robust server side code which supports threading and parallelism in other languages.
But for most use cases and my experience it's cheaper to use a bit more RAM and CPU compared to writing
a very good server side code.

Amos,
I have also tested MSSQL as a blacklist categories backend and it looks promising.
MySQL would be OK but MSSQL and Oracle takes much more load for specific use cases.

Working on the helper...

Lookup of for the next week Squid-Cache community meetup.

----
Eliezer Croitoru
NgTech, Tech Support
Mobile: +972-5-28704261