[squid-users] Squid.conf in a DB Mysql

ngtech1ltd at gmail.com ngtech1ltd at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 01:25:23 UTC 2022

Hey Marcelo,

It’s possible to use a SQL DB (Mysql,MSSQL,Oracle,PostgreSQL…) and a programming language to put the rules outside of squid.conf.
It could be a combination of external acl helpers with DB backend and a configuration (squid.conf) generator based on a DB.
However, you first need to do some homework and make sure it will be good enough for your use case.
As Alex mentioned there are fast and slow ACLs but for your use case depends on your service size it’s possible
you can use simple text files and simple external acl helpers.

To be able to answer your question in detail you need to prepare a technical spec that will try summarize your use case.
I am working on a series of Zoom meetings that I hope will start next week on Thursday evening IST.
I need to prepare the slides and environment for this meeting and it will be the first of: Squid 0 to hero
So the first meetings will not touch your use case specifically but I will discuss with the participants their aera so
we can talk and give demos for specific use cases somewhere in these meetings.

I will try to post about these meetings in the coming week with hope that you will be able to participate.

I believe that for your use case it’s better that you will not use PHP to write your helper despite to that fact that
the latest versions of PHP which I have tested are stable and won’t stop working even after a very very long run time
(what I was informed that should be tested in these PHP versions).

In my production environment I am using many RUBY helpers that eventually worth their memory consumption.
(Kinkie it took me a while to grasp that the memory usage differences between languages doesn’t worth considering)

I am working on couple examples but I am pretty sure it’s not your use case.

All The Bests,
Eliezer

----
Eliezer Croitoru