[squid-users] Reverse DNS lookups from squid logging port

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Tue Jan 25 14:14:15 UTC 2022

On 1/25/22 4:25 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> On 25/01/22 17:38, Alex Rousskov wrote:
>> On 1/24/22 7:24 PM, Praveen Ponakanti wrote:
>>> The proposed solution seems to be to change the following lines and
>>> recompile. If this is still the recommended fix, can it be upstreamed in
>>> an upcoming release?
>>>
>>> https://github.com/squid-cache/squid/blob/master/src/cf.data.pre#L6042
>>> https://github.com/squid-cache/squid/blob/master/src/cf.data.pre#L6136
>>
>> The above change of squid.conf defaults will probably work for you, but
>> it will also break some deployments affected by this bug because the
>> current code implicitly relies on those defaults triggering lookups.
>> Thus, it is probably not the right solution for upstreaming. The PR
>> mentioned below discusses specifics (see item #1 in the PR description).
>>

> Alex: FWIW; the above breakage is the same reason for my remaining
> objection to PR #912.

FWIW, PR 912 does not contain the above breakage: PR code does not rely
on %>A in squid.conf defaults to trigger lookups.

This mailing list is not the right place to discuss technical details,
but the PR relies on a getLogClientFqdn() call to trigger lookups. That
approach works well enough for all known %>A use cases, including ICAP
code described in item #1 mentioned above.