[squid-users] Question about compatibility SQUID 3.5.12 and UBUNTU 16.04 or UBUNTU 18.04

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Wed Jan 19 02:09:17 UTC 2022

On 19/01/22 04:02, Massimiliano Toscano wrote:

>       Hi ,
>
>     i have a Linux UBUNTU 16 to update
>
>     and possibly to upgrade and bring to UBUNTU 18.04
>
>     root at tortella1:~# cat /etc/issue
>     Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS
>
>     root at tortella1:~# squid -v
>     Squid Cache: Version 3.5.12
>     Service Name: squid
>     Ubuntu linux
>
>     when we tried the first time SQUID 3.5 doesn't work more.
>
>     Could i ask pls, if UBUNTU 18 doesn't work with SQUID 3.5.12 ?

Major releases of Ubuntu come with entirely different sets of system
libraries and requirements.

The source code of Squid can usually be said to work for any OS. But the
compiled binary is specific to that OS version. There is usually a need
to rebuild if for different OS major versions like Ubuntu 16.04 vs 18.04.

>     Maybe should i exclude SQUID package fo my upgrade in to UBUNTU 18 ?

That depends on why you have been using squid-3.5.12 with Ubuntu 16.04
which ships squid-3.3.8.

If you simply needed an upgrade and have no special customization. Then
you should be able to simply install the squid-3.5.26 package from
Ubuntu 18.04 and stop using the older 3.5.12.

If you have special customization in your Squid build that are not
included in official Squid. Then you will need to do one of the following:
  * rebuild your 3.5.12 Squid package binaries for the Ubuntu 18.04
system, or
  * port your customization to the squid-3.5.26 sources provided by
Ubuntu 18.04.

I advise the later (see below for why). You can find the necessary
commands on our Debian wiki page
<https://wiki.squid-cache.org/KnowledgeBase/Debian>. Ubuntu should be
the same process, except their deb-src URL will be different.

>     and before i have to update other packages of the UBUNTU 16

If your Squid was built as a .deb package and installed you can use
"aptitude hold X" to prevent upgrades happening for package X. With that
you can safely use the Ubuntu APT system to upgrade everything unrelated
to running Squid first. Then build your new .deb package and install it.

If you do have to rebuild from sources. You can prepare your new build
of Squid. Do test builds before upgrade, upgrade the OS, then re-build
for the upgraded system.

There are other more complicated methods if neither of those are doable.
But I shall not go into specifics unless you need them.

HTH