[squid-users] Tune Squid proxy to handle 90k connection

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Thu Jan 13 16:26:12 UTC 2022

On 14/01/22 04:00, André Bolinhas wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like you help to setup my squid server to handle 90k connection.
>
> 1 box, with 128GB ram, 1CPU and 1TB SSD.

Does that means 1 CPU core?
  What speed CPU?

> My question is:
>
> How many squid process need to run (workers, cpu-affinity) ?
>
> Any special configuration that I need to do in squid configuration file?

What "mode" of proxy is this Squid operating as?

> Any tunning the I need to perform on kernel, sysctl or proc files?

The number of connections does not matter much unfortunately. What
matters is how many requests are being made on those connections, and
how fast they arrive.

90k connections over a day with one request each is trivial. A single
connection delivering a million requests in one minute is a major
problem. Your reality will be somewhere in between.

If you are able to gather network statistics to find out the
request-per-second traffic rates happening in your traffic do that and
we can use those numbers more helpfully.

If not, then the best thing to do is simply setup Squid how you want to
use it and see what happens. At the very least it can provide you those
numbers for fine tuning once it is already operational.

FYI; Tuning is an ongoing process as popularity of websites and the
technology they are built from changes relatively often. So the "same"
traffic will change over time and tuning will need irregular updates.