[squid-users] MITM the MITM

Will BMD will at brainmeltdown.net
Tue Jan 4 09:35:35 UTC 2022

Hey Antony,

Thanks for the quick response.

> - What sort of firewall is this?

The firewall is a Cisco FTDv 6.6.

>   - What does "HTTPS inspect" actually mean?
>   - How does the firewall "inspect" HTTPS traffic, which by design is encrypted
> between client and server (neither of which is the firewall)?
>   - What does "inspect" mean?  What information is revealed from the inspection
> of the encrypted communication?

It's doing something they call 'decrypt and resign'. Similar to how
ssl_bump works, so would putting the firewall certificate on the Squid
server's trusted certificates source be enough?

> Why?  Where would the proxy servers need to be instead, in order for this
> inspection to work?

Good question, their documentation says the following:

    HTTP proxy limitation

    The system cannot decrypt traffic if an HTTP proxy is positioned
    between a client and your managed device, and the client and server
    establish a tunneled TLS/SSL connection using the CONNECT HTTP
    method. The Handshake Errors undecryptable action determines how the
    system handles this traffic.

> Alternatively, how does/would it work if the proxy were not there, and clients
> communicated directly to the Internet through the firewall?

If the proxy wasn't there, it looks like it works the same as ssl_bump.

> Have you asked the suppliers / authors / vendors of the firewall?

Not yet but I will be doing so today.

> If it's the firewall telling you there's a problem, this doesn't entirely feel
> like a Squid question.

Okay, what if we removed the firewall and replaced it with another squid proxy server, where that is also doing ssl_bump. I assume this would work but are there negative implications of doing so?

Appreciate you taking the time.

Thanks,

Will