[squid-users] MITM the MITM

Will BMD will at brainmeltdown.net
Tue Jan 4 00:19:28 UTC 2022

Hey all,

I currently have the following network topology, it's emulating a real
world environment. The proxy is running ssl_bump.

LAN <-> Squid Proxy <-> Firewall <-> Internet

 From the Firewalls perspective all client connections are originating
as the proxy server. We're wanting to use the https inspect feature of
the firewall, but according to our firewall documentation it appears due
to the location of our proxy servers we would be unable to do so.

My question is, if the proxy is behaving as a MITM between itself and
the client, can't the Firewall do the same thing between itself and the
proxy? I suspect it is possible, but might potentially involve a lot of
headaches and a big hit on performance?

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Will