[squid-users] Trying to set up SSL cache - solved!

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Thu Feb 24 16:08:48 UTC 2022

On 2/23/22 22:09, Dave Blanchard wrote:
> OK--I solved the problem by removing the "ssl_bump bump all" line.
> Works fine now.

> Damn, this proxy is a TOTAL PAIN IN THE ASS!! to configure. It seems
> like 90% of the tutorials out there are junk, largely because things
> keep changing from version to version, obsoleting them.

This email thread is a good example. The original ssl_bump config shared
in the beginning of the thread did not make sense at all. Squid bugs
notwithstanding, the implied second config (the one with "ssl_bump bump
all" line removed) should not cache any HTTPS transactions either.
However, folks will read this thread, copy the original config, maybe
remove the "bump" line, and expect things to "work" because the
"problem" was "solved" for somebody else.

> Please add more concrete examples to the Wiki reference pages!

IMHO, SslBump is too nuanced/complex to be able to reuse simple
configurations without understanding their meaning. We should improve
documentation a lot, but it takes a village to do that, and "more
examples" is hardly the answer.