[squid-users] Trying to set up SSL cache - solved!

Dave Blanchard dave at killthe.net
Thu Feb 24 09:44:13 UTC 2022

Hi Eliezer, this is on a custom Linux distro. I was using Traffic Server after the failed initial foray into Squid-land, but it also wasn't caching SSL, and it's even more poorly documented. Also, annoyingly, TS was updating its on-disk stat file every five seconds, slowly but steadily wearing out my SSD drive. I tried to patch the source code to fix the problem, and found the code is too cruddy to deal with. It's the sort of code base where the obvious fix doesn't work because the code is doing the same thing in like 5 different random places, with half the relevant code being dead and unused. Found some really dumb shit, like a command line option to enable debugging, that doesn't work--the code doesn't even use the variable it sets! So in disgust I came back to Squid, and am glad to finally have this thing working right. My network connection is only 128kbit, but now quite usable with the caching proxy and other optimizations.

Dave