[squid-users] squid-5.4 blocking on ipv6 outage

Jason Haar jason_haar at trimble.com
Mon Feb 21 19:21:42 UTC 2022

Well this was a wild ride, I actually tracked the problem back to....
dns64/nat64!!!!!!!!!

What I discovered is that the affected webserver didn't actually have ipv6
- it only had 2 ipv4 addresses. But something in my DNS-tree (I'm
suspecting the local systemd-resolve, but can't actually find any direct
evidence) had whacked fake  DNS64/NAT64 records for each of them. I've
never seen them before so didn't realise "64:ff9b:XXXXXXXX" was a "special"
IPv6 range. I directly queried our upstream DNS recursive name server and
it didn't have those IPv6 records - but the local systemd-resolve would not
give them up. So I down/up-ed the interface (resetting systemd-resolve) and
the problem disappeared.

This new information really doesn't change the nature of the question, but
I'm afraid the problem is now resolved (for the moment) so debugging won't
catch it. If it happens again (I have never seen this before) I'll be sure
to do the debugging thang.

--
Cheers

Jason Haar