[squid-users] External helper consumes too many DB connections

roee klinger roeeklinger60 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 16:08:33 UTC 2022

> You have at least two basic options:

A. Enhance Squid to let SMP workers share helpers. I assume that you
> have C SMP workers and N helpers per worker, with C and N significantly
> greater than 1. Instead of having N helpers per worker and C*N helpers
> total, you will have just one concurrent helper per worker and C helpers
> total. This will be a significant, generally useful improvement that
> should be officially accepted if implemented well. This enhancement
> requires serious Squid code modifications in a neglected error-prone
> area, but it is certainly doable -- Squid already shares rock diskers
> across workers, for example.

B. Convert your helper from a database client program to an Aggregator
> client program (and write the Aggregator). Depending on your needs and
> skill, you can use TCP or Unix Domain Sockets (UDS) for
> helper-Aggregator communication. The Aggregator may look very similar to
> the current helper, except it will not use stdin/stdout for
> receiving/sending helper queries/responses. This option also requires
> development, but it is much simpler than option A.

Thank you, Alex, I will keep these in mind.

I thought about the following approach:

1. Have only one python helper, this helper fetches the data every minute
from the main DB.
2. This helper has concurrency set for it.
3. The helper then spawns child processes using multithreading, each
process responds to std/stdout and reads the data from the main process
which spawned it.

What do you think about taking this route?

It will require no extra DBs and no tweaks to Squid, but maybe I am missing
something,

Best regards,
Roee