[squid-users] [ext] Re: Absolute upper limit for filedescriptors in squid-6?

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Wed Feb 2 14:10:50 UTC 2022

On 1/25/22 15:17, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> On 26/01/22 03:55, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
>> * Francesco Chemolli:
>>> See configure --max-filedescriptors

>> configure: forcing default of 131072 filedescriptors (user-forced)
>> checking Default FD_SETSIZE value... 1024
>> checking Maximum number of filedescriptors we can open... 32768
>> configure: Default number of filedescriptors: 131072
>>
>> Yes, I set "ulimit -n 131072" before running configure
>>

> The ./configure has a 2^15 limit for the _default_ FD number. Runtime
> should allow configuring larger values later (sans bugs).

In case it was not clear due to the presence of three(!) "defaults" in
./configure output, the fourth "default" in Amos response is about the
"Maximum number of filedescriptors we can open" line (that does not
mention the word "default"): Squid just does not check whether it can
open more than 32768 descriptors, regardless of --max-filedescriptors.

I hope somebody will change/fix the related ./configure functionality
and/or message wording. Most humans will be confused by the
self-contradictory output shared by Ralf. File descriptor limits is a
complicated subject, but we can do better!

Cheers,

Alex.