[squid-users] external helper development

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Tue Feb 1 22:01:02 UTC 2022

On 2/1/22 16:47, André Bolinhas wrote:
> Hi
>
> I’m building an external helper to get the categorization of an website,
> I know how to build it, but I need you option about the best language
> for the job in terms of performance, bottlenecks, I/O blocking..
>
> The helper will work like this.
>
> 1º  will check the hot memory for faster response (memcache or redis)
>
> 2º If the result not exist in hot memory then will check an external api
> to fetch the categorie and saved it in hot memory.
>
> In what language do you recommend develop such helper? PHP, Python, Go..

If this helper is for long-term production use, and you are willing to
learn new things, then use Rust[1]. Otherwise, use whatever language you
are the most comfortable with already (except PHP), especially if that
language has good libraries/wrappers for the external APIs you will need
to use.

Alex.
[1] https://www.rust-lang.org/