[squid-users] Squid log shows peer_response_time = 0 and status is 200

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Thu Dec 29 22:31:21 UTC 2022

On 12/29/22 16:17, Raghav P wrote:
> We have a squid proxy configured as a forward proxy. But we see that for
> some requests the log shows peer_response_time =0 but has status is 200.
> At times users on their browser see this as a page not loading.
>
> As we couldn't find documentation around this. We wish to know what this
> actually means and if this is an issue how to resolve it.

It is difficult to say for sure what is going on without a lot more
details, but it is likely that Squid experienced some kind of an error
after receiving the beginning of a 200 OK response from the peer. I am
guessing that when handling certain kinds of errors, Squid may forget to
update the transaction response time clock and log zero. It is also
possible, in some environments, that the transaction took less than one
millisecond.

I recommend configuring Squid to log all the standard fields in "squid"
logformat, including %Ss (you probably log that already) and to add
%err_code/%err_detail fields (you probably do not log those now). Share
the values of those three specific fields (at least) with this mailing
list. In general, the more logged fields you can share, the higher are
the chances that somebody here will know what is going on with those
transactions.

You may also want to mention whether these transactions are HTTP or
HTTPS, and, if HTTPS, whether your Squid has ssl_bump rules for those
transactions.

HTH,