[squid-users] How to enable squid to use more server resources when using 500+ http_ports?

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Mon Aug 29 13:05:06 UTC 2022

On 8/29/22 02:06, Marcelo wrote:

> I have a server with large resources ( RAM, CPU, etc) running Ubuntu 20.04.
>
> When I put squid 4.13 to manage more than 500 http_ports, it performs
> very slowly.
>
> Question is, how can I setup Squid or Ubuntu to use more hw resources in
> order to perform better?

To make Squid perform better you need to identify and address the
current bottleneck. You are implying that the current bottleneck is tied
to the number of http_ports. If that is true, it is probably possible to
optimize Squid to handle the large number of listening ports better.
What makes you think that the number of http_ports is the culprit?

What CPU usage do you see for each Squid kid process during high load?
What percentage of RAM is used during those times?

FWIW, as you already know from past squid-users emails, I am not aware
of any linear scans of http_ports in modern Squids that could
significantly affect runtime performance. That does not mean such linear
scans do not exist, of course. However, I bet the real problem is elsewhere.

HTH,

Alex.