[squid-users] xcalloc error when installing squid in container on CentOS 9 host

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Tue Aug 2 17:18:17 UTC 2022

On 8/2/22 04:22, Frank Ansari wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have found a weird issue with CentOS 9.
>
> So far I had squid running on a CentOS 8 system within an Alpine Linux
> Container and this has worked.
>
> Now I installed CentOS 9 and also latest Alpine Linux with squid 5.5.
>
> Squid refuses to start and when I run "squid -z" I get this error:
>
> [root at 324ae7d5e4db /]# 2022/08/01 08:01:47| FATAL: xcalloc: Unable to
> allocate 1073741816 blocks of 432 bytes!

Sounds like https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-docker-images/+bug/1978272

You may need to set max_filedescriptors or otherwise reconfigure your OS
so that Squid does not try to allocate 1073741816 432-byte descriptor
structures based on your current OS settings.

I do not know whether that allocation is a Squid bug (e.g., Squid is
misinterpreting some negative "no limit" number as a positive 1073741816
number).

Alex.