[squid-users] Squid-Cache VS PHP, put some things in perspective

Eliezer Croitoru ngtech1ltd at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 22:30:46 UTC 2022

Hey Everybody,

Since I know Squid-Cache I remember hearing over and over to not use PHP
however it's a great language.

I had the pleasure of hearing a talk from the creator of PHP and it gave me
couple answers to my doubts and
I wanted to say couple good words about PHP.

First the talk is available at the next link:

https://youtu.be/wCZ5TJCBWMg

Title: 25 Years of PHP (by the Creator of PHP)

Join me for a fun look at the highlights (and lowlights) of this crazy trip.
But I will also be trying to convince you to upgrade your PHP version.

The performance alone should be enough, if not, I have a few other tricks up
my sleeve to try to win you over.

Performance optimization, static analysis, zero-cost profiling, dead code
elimination and escape analysis are just some of the concepts that will be
covered.

EVENT:

phpday 2019 | Verona, May 10-11th | phpday.it

SPEAKER:

Rasmus Lerdorf

PUBLICATION PERMISSIONS:

Original video was published with the Creative Commons license.

## END OF SECTION

PHP is a good language if not one of the best languages ever made.

And I can see daily how it gives many parts of the internet and the world to
just work and make the world a better place.
(There are. bad uses for anything good..)

I have been using Squid-Cache for the last 14 ~ years for many things and I
am really not a programmer.

I actually didn't even like to code and I have seen uses of PHP which amazed
me all these years.

For theses who want to run a squid helper with PHP you just need to
understand that PHP was not built for this purpose.

I assume that the availability of PHP helpers examples and the simplicity of
the language technical resources might be the cause of this.

I want to run a test of a PHP helper with PHP 7.4 and PHP 8.0 , they both
contains couple amazing improvements but needs to be tested.

The next Skelton:

https://gist.githubusercontent.com/elico/5d1cc6dceebbe7ae8f6cedf158396905/ra
w/1655125419b5063477723f9f1687167afd003665/fake-helper.php

Is a fake PHP helper for the tests.

I really recommend on other languages and other ways to implement a helper
solution but if we will be able to test this it's possible
that the conclusions will be more then satisfying to prove if the language
issues were fixed.

I need an idea for a testing helper and was thinking about a basic session
helper.

I my last take of a session helper what I did was to write the next:

https://wiki.squid-cache.org/EliezerCroitoru/SessionHelper

https://wiki.squid-cache.org/EliezerCroitoru/SessionHelper/Conf

https://wiki.squid-cache.org/EliezerCroitoru/SessionHelper/PhpLoginExample

https://wiki.squid-cache.org/EliezerCroitoru/SessionHelper/Python

https://wiki.squid-cache.org/EliezerCroitoru/SessionHelper/SplashPageTemplat

And I have also seen that there are couple examples for the:

readline_callback_handler_install

function in PHP which might result in a solution for the problem.

I am looking for adventurous Squid Users which wants to help me test if PHP
7.4+ still possess the same old 5.x STDIN bugs.

Thanks,

Eliezer

----

Eliezer Croitoru