[squid-users] Running SMP workers on multi-core systems

Praveen Ponakanti pponakanti at roblox.com
Thu Sep 30 06:49:55 UTC 2021

Hi,

I am trying to use the squid cache as an outbound HTTP/S proxy service for
our production network and would like to scale up the request per sec by
running it on multi-core systems.

I have searched up the archives and config docs, but couldn't find anything
more recent than the below on setting up SMP workers.
https://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/SmpCarpCluster
https://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/MultiCpuSystem

* Can someone please let me know if the config examples in those docs still
apply to the latest version 5.1.

* Do we still need the combination of squid, frontend, backend.conf files,
or is it enabled simply with the "workers" line in the main config file?

* When I attempt to run the squid server with "workers 4" in the
squid.conf, I get the following error (one for each kid) and the main
process does not bind to the "http_port 3128". I see several UDP ports
opened up for each kid process.