[squid-users] SSL Terminating Reverse Proxy with Referral Tracking

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Wed Sep 15 01:21:33 UTC 2021

On 9/14/21 6:09 PM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> b) If those upstream servers are embedding URLs for clients to directly
> contact the XaaS services. Then your desire is not possible without
> redesigning the upstream service(s) such that they stop exposing their
> use of the XaaS. Which often also means redesigning the XaaS service
> itself too.

I don't know about Squid, but I do know that it's possible to manipulate
traffic with Apache in a similar role.  I've done so a number of times
using the mod_proxy and associated mod_proxy_html modules.  This allows
Apache to re-write content as it's passing through the Apache proxy.

I wonder if Squid's ICAP support might allow something to modify traffic
as it passes through the Squid proxy.

> That is not possible for a reverse-proxy to do. It will never see the
> third-party traffic, as mentioned by (b) above.

Sure it is.  }:-)

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die