[squid-users] SSL Terminating Reverse Proxy with Referral Tracking

Mehrdad Fatemi mehrdad.fatemi at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 04:16:07 UTC 2021

Hi Everyone,
I'm looking for an elegant technology option to have telcos zero-rate all
of the traffic to a set of online destinations. Using an SSL terminating
reverse proxy could be a potential answer to this as we can focus on
zero-rating the proxy's downstream traffic with each ISP/Telco without
worrying about upstream servers.

There are two challenges to address here though:
1) Modern web applications on the upstream servers use many 3rd party and
X-a-a-S resources  (e.g. embedded media, libraries, etc) that we also want
to pass through the proxy to ensure they are zero-rated.

2) For a user to complete an end-to-end process they may get referred to
3rd party websites (like a payment gateway) that we only want to zero-rate
if the referral is from one of our designated upstream servers.

Any advice on whether and how Squid and other related technologies could
help is much appreciated.

Cheers
Mehrdad