[squid-users] AWS NLB Proxy Protocol V2

Ty Martin ty at vergesense.com
Mon Oct 18 21:16:02 UTC 2021

Ah, yep. Adding the following to my config got things working in AWS:

```
acl private src 172.0.0.0/8
proxy_protocol_access allow private
http_port 3128 require-proxy-header
```

I was trying to test it locally without success by running the Docker
container and hitting it with a curl along the lines of:
`curl --proxy http://<un>:<pw>@localhost:3128 -v --header "X-Forwarded-For:
192.168.0.2" https://www.google.com`

--- Resulting Squid logs ---
```
squid-proxy_1  | 2021/10/18 19:55:33| PROXY protocol error: invalid magic
squid-proxy_1  |     exception location: Parser.cc(260) Parse from conn6
local=172.24.0.2:3128 remote=172.24.0.1:65426 FD 12 flags=1
squid-proxy_1  |     connection: conn6 local=172.24.0.2:3128 remote=
172.24.0.1:65426 FD 12 flags=1
```

--- Resulting client logs ---
```
* Proxy CONNECT aborted
* CONNECT phase completed!
* Closing connection 0
curl: (56) Proxy CONNECT aborted
```

Any idea offhand what I'm missing from the local testing scenario? I
thought adding a "X-Forwarded-For" header via curl would be treated as
proxy protocol v1 by Squid, but the "invalid magic" protocol error gives me
the impression I'm not going about it the right way.