[squid-users] Squid upgrade failure support questions

Yuen, John John.Yuen at moodys.com
Wed Nov 3 16:53:31 UTC 2021

Hi Rafael,

Thanks for getting back to me on this. The link you provided to me for issues #95 and #101 pretty much sound like what I'm experiencing on my 'Squid-01' server after it got upgraded to v4.14.  As you mentioned, I checked the non-working 'Squid-01' server as well as the working 'Squid-02' server to compare the two.

- On the non-working 'Squid-01' server, the 'Squid for Windows' service is running, and I can see the associated ' Diladele.Squid.Service.exe' service executable running and listed in the Windows task manager. (under the 'Details' tab). I also see a separate 'Diladele.Squid.Tray.exe' process running as well in the Windows Task Manager. However, I don't see the 'squid.exe' process listed in the Windows Task manager. I wasn't aware there were 2 separate processes that should be running, until you told me. The CPU, memory, etc. seem fine, so it can't be related to those things. Lastly, when I typed in the following command from a command prompt, I don't see any entries as it should if Squid was working and listening properly on port 3128:
=> netstat -a | find "3128"

- On the working 'Squid-02' server, the 'Squid for Windows' service is running, and I can see the associated ' Diladele.Squid.Service.exe' service executable running and listed in the Windows task manager. (under the 'Details' tab). I don't see a separate 'Diladele.Squid.Tray.exe' process running (like on the 'Squid-01' server) in the Windows Task Manager. However, I do see the 'squid.exe' process listed in the Windows Task manager. Lastly, when I type in the following command from a command prompt, I see that it's listening to the default Squid port 3128 and that there are remote computers establishing connections to the Squid port 3128, as it should since it's working and listening properly on port 3128:
=> netstat -a | find "3128"

The question is, why isn't the 'squid.exe' process running and listed in the Windows Task manager on the 'Squid-01' server after it was upgraded, and even with an uninstall and re-install of Squid v4.14? Not sure if the upgrade did anything to make it not work and listen on port 3128 on the 'Squid-01' server. Please let me know if this is a known issue and if others are facing the same issue. If there's a way to fix this, please provide the detailed steps on how to make it work again. As mentioned, we have other Squid servers that we need to upgrade the version to the same v4.14, so we don't want to face the same upgrade issues like this one. Or maybe you can tell me what's the best way to upgrade to v4.14 so I can avoid having this issue in the future.

Both the 'Squid-01' and 'Squid-02' are virtual machines running on Microsoft Hyper-V physical servers. So, will that be an issue as you mentioned v4.14 does not work on older processors? Does it matter about the CPU age on the physical Hyper-V servers, where the 2 VMs reside? Please advise.

Hope all this makes sense. If you have any questions, please let me know. Thanks for any help in advance.

John