[squid-users] manual proxy configuration ...

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Sat May 29 10:23:08 UTC 2021

On 29.05.21 05:45, Albretch Mueller wrote:
> I still can't understand what the big deal is. The port is defined on
>the one liner which attribute name is "http_port"
>
> cat "/etc/squid/squid.conf" | grep http_port | grep --invert-match "^#"
>http_port 3128

standard port for squid, makes squid listen on port 3128 of all available
interfaces.
If that's your local machine, localhost (3128) is one of those and if you
want to stop others from accessing it, you can configure

http_port localhost:3128

> The value 3128 you enter on your network browser settings

> what I need now is the name of the running listening service which
>you can get via:
>
> netstat -tl
>
> but I couldn't get squid running apparently due to problems related
>to using a prefix other than its default:
>
>$ which squid
>/media/knoppix/squid3/4.15/sbin/squid
>
>$ squid start
>2021/05/29 15:33:48| ERROR: unlinkd_program /lib/squid3/unlinkd: (2)
>No such file or directory
>2021/05/29 15:33:48| FATAL: unlinkd_program /lib/squid3/unlinkd: (2)
>No such file or directory
>2021/05/29 15:33:48| Squid Cache (Version 4.15): Terminated abnormally.
>CPU Usage: 0.016 seconds = 0.010 user + 0.006 sys
>Maximum Resident Size: 33696 KB
>Page faults with physical i/o: 0
>$
>
> how can I fix such problems?

it's possible that squid was compiled without unlinkd support. In such case,
you don't need that directive.

we can guess that unlinkd lives in /media/knoppix/squid3/4.15/sbin/unlinkd
or somewhere under /media/knoppix/squid3/4.15 directory

- Holmes, what kind of school did you study to be a detective?
- Elementary, Watkins.  -- Daffy Duck & Porky Pig