[squid-users] Accessing external web page with squid

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Tue May 25 14:32:28 UTC 2021

On 25.05.21 16:11, Fabrizio Bartolomucci wrote:
>As a matter of fact it should all be the transparent to the user.

for "transparent" usage we udually recommend procy autoconfig or WPAD.

https://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/ConfiguringBrowsers

> She would click a button and get the requested page by way of the proxy, instead of directly. Like for example: taxiprofessional.net:3000?https://books.apple.com/it/book/bibbia-traduzione-letterale-genesi/id1276275493

this looks like asking webserver on taxiprofessional.net port 3000 to
provide its URL:

/https://books.apple.com/it/book/bibbia-traduzione-letterale-genesi/id1276275493

This has issues (mostly related to certificates) and clients do NOT work like
this.

>More strategically that url would also be inserted in the links of a
> RapidWeaver stack allowing to search the website, that doesn't work with
> the Apple web site due to Cors security issues.

so, you want some random webserver to download and scan the remote URL for
you.
That means no privacy, no security on clients' sides and huge problems on
your side when clients (browsers, not users) will reject such content.

use autoconfiguration as described above.
I intend to live forever - so far so good.