[squid-users] (possibly dynamic?) multiple port forwarding in the same internal Network ...

Albretch Mueller lbrtchx at gmail.com
Tue May 25 14:14:14 UTC 2021

On 5/25/21, Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar at fantomas.sk> wrote:
> as first I'd like to note that squid is a HTTP/FTP proxy, not a port
> forwarder (see Subject)
>
> squid also does not actively distribute content.
> It can fetch and cache it, but the rest is on you.
>
> and according to your description, most of the work is on you.

 Well, yes that I see. I ask here because the most important part of
what I have in mind is squid in tandem with an ICAP plugin, so you
should know best about technologies around it. I am not asking for you
to do such thing or change the design of squid for me.

>> Probably, all the functional requirements relating to what I have
>>described can not straight-forwardly done with squid, but there should
>>be a way to use other applications' output to dynamically reconfigure:
>>
>> /etc/squid/squid.conf
>>
>> So, my questions could be reduced to: which exactly are the
>>configuration lines that should be changed in both squid and the
>>browsers on the connected computers or the different browsers in the
>>same computer?
>
> this apaprently means that all squid caches running on their machines will
> transparently intercept outgoing port 80 connections. Should be easier on
> local machine.
>
> https://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/InterceptionProxy
>
> note that intercepting HTTPS (port 443) is much more work and issues than
> port 80 (http).

 I was actually thinking in terms of some sort of "squid caching
sessions" instead of having squid running on all local machines, but I
have to think more about why you have suggested such a solution (or
possibly misinterpreted my idea)

 lbrtchx