[squid-users] HTTPS caching is not working in squid with ssl-bump enabled

Vignesh Ramessh vigneshisvignesh at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 10:11:01 UTC 2021

Hi Alex,

We have just started to integrate squid proxy in our project, thanks for
your reply and support.

Previously we were seeing TCP_TUNNEL for https://www.google.com.
Now, we are able to see the TCP_MISS transactions for https://www.google.com
.
As https://www.google.com does not contain a cache-control header in
response, the response cannot be cached which we are aware of.

1616580079.857     73 ::1 NONE/200 0 CONNECT www.google.com:443 -
HIER_DIRECT/172.217.163.68 -
1616580079.945     44 ::1 TCP_MISS/200 967 HEAD https://www.google.com/ -
HIER_DIRECT/172.217.163.68 text/html

I generated key.pem and cert.pem files using openssl and when i tried to
connect a local python https web server which has cache-control headers in
https response, got the below error,

root at raspberrypi-rdk-hybrid:~# curl -I https://192.168.1.41:443
--proxy-cacert cert.pem --proxy http://localhost:3128
HTTP/1.1 200 Connection established

curl: (60) SSL certificate problem: unable to get local issuer certificate
More details here: https://curl.haxx.se/docs/sslcerts.html

curl failed to verify the legitimacy of the server and therefore could not
establish a secure connection to it. To learn more about this situation and
how to fix it, please visit the web page mentioned above.

Have attached the squid.conf file for your reference. Can you please check
and let me know if I am missing something ?

Regards,
Vignesh