[squid-users] How to completely blacklist a domain + subdomains, including HTTPS?

roee klinger roeeklinger60 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 11:57:46 UTC 2021

Hey,

I have found a lot of outdated or conflicting information about this
online, and since this is a really important matter, I wanted to make sure
I am doing this correctly.

I am attempting to block some websites completely, including all HTTPS
traffic and subdomains.

Squid.conf:

acl domain_blacklist dstdomain "/etc/squid/domain_blacklist.txt"
http_access deny all domain_blacklist
http_reply_access deny domain_blacklist
http_access deny CONNECT domain_blacklist

/etc/squid/domain_blacklist.txt:

.ph
.somepornwebsite.com
.facebook.com

.ph - will block all websites that have the .ph TLD including subdomains.
.somepornwebsite.com - will block all traffic to somepornwebsite.com,
including all subdomains.
.facebook.com - will block all traffic to FB including subdomains.

Am I doing this the right way?
Thanks