[squid-users] SNMP mib data a subset of that available via cache:// ?

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Mon Jul 5 20:09:32 UTC 2021

On 7/5/21 1:51 PM, Jason Spashett wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Jul 2021 at 17:02, Alex Rousskov wrote:
>>
>> On 7/5/21 11:19 AM, Jason Spashett wrote:
>>
>>> I saw some anecdotal information on the web that said the SNMP data
>>> available from squid was a restricted subset of that available via the
>>> cache-manager interface. Is this still largely the case? Looking to
>>> use squid4, and 5, shortly.

>> Yes, it is. Unlike the cache manager, SNMP is one of the neglected areas
>> that receives very few updates.

> The cachemgr output is in text form only as far as I can see, and a
> little inconsistently formatted. I can imagine that users do sometimes
> want to import this data into their monitoring tool of choice.

Yes, of course. Nearly all serious Squid deployments should
automatically archive and process some of the cache manager reports.

> Is there or has there been any discussion on a direction for providing
> this sort of thing for users?

Yes, there were several lengthy (but reasonably fruitful) discussions on
squid-dev and even a couple of failed initial implementation attempts
predating (and triggering) those necessary discussions.

I believe the long-term goal is a YAML-compliant output with a
stable/published basic structure that would be easy to consume using
modern tools. Properly migrating to that kind of output requires a lot
of basic low-level development work based on serious internal API
changes that I have been unable to find enough free time to implement.