[squid-users] re-directing through squid using MAC

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Sat Jan 30 09:32:10 UTC 2021

On 30/01/21 8:19 pm, Wolfgang Paul Rauchholz wrote:
> I got two questions actualy. I want to re-direct all traffic certain
> users (parental control...) through squid.
>
> (1)  What i the best possibility to do so independently of whether they
> are on the LAN or are outside home?

There is no single way which can do it for both of those environments.

> (2) If I only want to re-direct when they are on the LAN; can I do this
> by capturing the MAC address of their devices?

Moving traffic around is a feature of the network routing system. The
answer to that depends on which OS you have within yoru network and what
they can do.

That is also why there is no single solution to (1). You have little or
no control over router settings beyond your own network - so a very
different setup is needed for non-LAN traffic.