[squid-users] Squid 5 service stops after assertion failure

Vieri rentorbuy at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 25 08:37:04 UTC 2021

On Sunday, January 24, 2021, 11:03:19 PM GMT+1, Amos Jeffries <squid3 at treenet.co.nz> wrote:

>> The external script "bllookup" is probably responsible for bad output,
>
> That is a certainty.
>
>> but maybe Squid could handle it without crashing.
>
> As you noticed, Squid halts service only after the helper fails 10
> multiple times in a row. Before that Squid is restarting the helper to
> see if it was a temporary issue.

OK, the external script is definitely guilty. However, it is buggy and triggers the Squid assertion failure only in specific circumstances. So it's trasaction-specific. In my use case I would definitely prefer that only a few transactions were "killed", and that the whole of the proxy service would keep working.
Of course, I would still need to identify these cases and fix them, but in the meantime I would not get a general crash.
On the other hand a general failure forces me to look into this issue with greater celerity. ;-)

Thanks,

Vieri