[squid-users] Data tricking implementation is on ICAP side or Squid side?

John Zhu jzhu at proofpoint.com
Wed Jan 20 20:21:46 UTC 2021

Hi, All,

We have similar project idea of content scanning which is built on Squid and ICAP. While ICAP content scanner takes very long time for  large file (> 10MB) scanning, the session to client browser will be disconnected.  As people suggested in this community, for better user experience, we would like to add the “data trickling” feature – slow the transmit speed to client while waiting for ICAP scanning completion.

I implemented ICAP in java. I have questions regarding the “data trickling” to handle slow response for large file scanning from ICAP.  Could you please give your advices?
1) Java libraries available for data trickling at ICAP side, if any?
2) Need any configuration change for trickling feature on Squid side?
3) Need any code change on Squid side?
3) The trickling (in a very slow speed data send to Squid) is implemented only ICAP server side, correct?

Thank you all,

John Zhu