[squid-users] distinguish between IPv4 and IPv6

Eliezer Croitoru ngtech1ltd at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 20:29:53 UTC 2021

The detection of an IPV6 available DST can be determined by DNS and external ACL helper.

It will “slow” down the first couple bytes of the connection but can be much more reliable then the basic “dst” acl.

The basic test would be something like:

nslookup -type=aaaa www.squid-cache.org -timeout=10 |grep -v '#53'|grep Address:|wc -l

if the wc -l gt 0 then try to use IPV6.

I believe it’s pretty simple and the main issue is that if a service advertises unreachable IPV6 address.

It can be either because of network misconfiguration or FW or misconfigured DNS.

I have seen all of the above happen in production services in the last year.

I can write a helper for this if required.

Eliezer

----

Eliezer Croitoru

Tech Support