[squid-users] Originserver load balancing and health checks in Squid reverse proxy mode

Chris ml+squidusers at kisswebdev.com
Tue Feb 9 15:03:10 UTC 2021

Hi,

thank you Amos, this is bringing me into the right direction.

Now I know what I'll have to debug: the pinger.

Cache.log shows:

2021/02/09 14:49:27| pinger: Initialising ICMP pinger ...
2021/02/09 14:49:27| pinger: ICMP socket opened.
2021/02/09 14:49:27| pinger: ICMPv6 socket opened
2021/02/09 14:49:27| Pinger exiting.

and that last line "pinger exiting" looks like a problem here.

Squid is used as a package from ubuntu bionic, it's configured with
"--enable-icmp" as stated by squid -v.

Now I explicitly wrote a "pinger_enable on" and the pinger_program path
(in this case: "/usr/lib/squid/pinger" ) into the squid.conf  (as well
as icmp_query on) and reconfigured but the cache.log still shows:

"Pinger exiting"

So I don't understand why the pinger is exiting. The pinger_program is
owned by root and has 0755 execution rights. Normal ping commands do
work and show the one originserver at ttl=53 and time=50 while the other
is at ttl=56 and time=155 - so a RTT comparison for weighted-round-robin
should work here.

Any hints on how I can find out why the pinger is exiting? Right now I'm
debuging with debug_options ALL,1 44,3 15,8 but don't see a reason why
the pinger exits.

The Originservers are defined by (with icp/htcp disabled):

cache_peer [ipv4_address_srv1] parent [http_port] 0 no-digest
no-netdb-exchange weighted-round-robin originserver name=srv1
forceddomain=[domainname]

cache_peer [ipv4_address_srv2] parent [http_port] 0 no-digest
no-netdb-exchange weighted-round-robin originserver name=srv2
forceddomain=[domainname]

Thank you for your help,

Chris