[squid-users] Setting Squid to work with a remote DB?

roee klinger roeeklinger60 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 28 18:59:14 UTC 2021

Hello,

I have multiple Squid servers installed in different data centers across
different cloud providers, and they all need to authenticate users using
a single database (MySQL) on a separate server, which is also on a
different cloud provider on a different data center.

I have already written an external authentication script that reads from
MySQL and everything is working fine, however, I have some
performance concerns, since the DB is located externally and in a different
region of the world from the Squid server.

I made some speed tests to see how long it takes to query the DB as Squid
would:

if the database is located on the same machine as Squid: 1.067-millisecond
average query

if the database is located on the same datacenter as Squid:
2.67-millisecond average query

if the database is located on a different datacenter than Squid (different
country as well): 38.9-millisecond average query

Now I am wondering, is 36-millisecond average added query time a big deal
when dealing with HTTP/S traffic? how significant is this added time to
Squid and will performance get hurt drastically?

I know there is some caching going on the Squid side, but I had to set the
caching to really low values (around 15s), as per the requirement I was
given.

If I will have no other choice, I will simply replicate the DB table from
the DB server to the Squid server, but I prefer not to do that, as it will
require installing MySQL on all the Squid servers (or some other DB, but
then I have to do replication from different DBs).

Thanks.