[squid-users] Squid is active but not working

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at squid.open.source.it
Mon Aug 16 18:57:26 UTC 2021

On Monday 16 August 2021 at 19:28:55, Peter Thesing wrote:

> Because I have a multi port modem/router
> a fritz.box 7581

I have a Fritz.Box 6360, not so different.

> My ISP does not support samba on their network
>
> Samba can be used for remote printer support among others

Yes, I am familiar with Samba, but why would you want to run that over your
ISP's network?

Please tell me:

a) where is the computer you want to print from?

b) where is the printer you want to print to?

> It would be nice if I can http support thrown in the mix so I can use
> internet.

So, you want your client computer to be able to access websites?

> On your question using 1 internet and one server and multiple clients:
>
> It is my wish to have  1 internet access point
>
> using one server
>
> using multiple computers who connect to one server who connect to one
> internet access

Okay, I am going to question the word "connect"...

Are you *just* talking about wanting your client computer to connect to
*websites* on the Internet, or would you like to be able to use SSH to log in
to remote machines, maybe have streaming audio for things like Deezer or
Spotify. or perhaps other things than simply HTTP and HTTPS?

I ask because it sounds to me as though you have a classic Network Address
Translation router situation:

 - one machine (your "server") which has a public IP address on its external
interface (the one connected to the Fritz.Box), and a private address
192.168.1.1 on its internal interface

 - another machine (your "client") which gets an IP address by DHCP from your
server, and which is also presumably given the server's IP address 192.168.1.1
as its gateway router address

So, if you *do* want all traffci from your client machine to pass through your
server machine, I think you should configure this server to:

1. forward network packets between the two interfaces

2. apply Network Address Translation to packets leaving the external
interface, so that they appear to come from its own address and not that of
the client machine.

If you need further guidance with setting up something like this, there are
many tutorials and guides on the Internet about setting up a "NAT Router"
using Linux.

I think this will be a far more useful and appropriate solution for you than
using Squid.

However, I do have a further question for you.  The Fritz.Box 7581 has 4
gigabit ethernet ports on it for internal equipment.

Why do you not simply connect your "server" to one port and your "client" to
another port, so that they can both connect to the Internet, and also to each
other?

That would, to me, seem to be the simplest solution to what I think you are
trying to do.

If my suggestions so far do not seem to help with your problem, then please
answer some of my earlier questions about how you are testing Squid from the
client computer and what appears in Squid's log files when you do so.

Regards,

Antony.

--
"Good health" is merely the slowest rate at which you can die.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.