[squid-users] Squid is active but not working

Peter Thesing peterthesing at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 17:28:55 UTC 2021

Because I have a multi port modem/router

a fritz.box 7581

My ISP does not support samba on their network

Samba can be used for remote printer support among others

It would be nice if I can http support thrown in the mix so I can use
internet.

On your question using 1 internet and one server and multiple clients:

It is my wish to have  1 internet access point

using one server

using multiple computers who connect to one server who connect to one
internet access

This is as clear as I can paint this, if not please tell me how can I
clarify this.

Op 16-08-2021 om 18:54 schreef Antony Stone:
> On Monday 16 August 2021 at 18:09:12, Peter Thesing wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> English is not my native tongue so I am sorry for any mistakes that I've
>> made or will make in the future.
> That's not problem - I just wanted to make sure I understood your meaning
> (which I did).
>
>> Both apache and squid are running of the same machine. This I like to
>> call the server.
> Sounds good to me.
>
>> Then on another machine, lets call it the client,  there is also
>> opensuse 15.1 but with another purpose. When this client is directly
>> connected to the internet is cannot connect to the server.
> I do not understand that part.  Why can you not have two machines on one
> network which can both connect to the Internet and also connect to each other?
>
> How does each machine connect to the Internet?
>
>> The relevance of apache is that on some mysterious way I would be able
>> to check if squid is working but I just installed it and I have to
>> figure this one out.
> I would suggest that the best way to find out whether Squid is working is
> either to use Squid itself, or to check whether it is listening on port 3128,
> or perhaps even use something like Icinga2 (although that's prbably going a
> bit far just to "find out whether Squid is working").
>
>> DHCP and DNS are working. The client machine gets an IP address from the
>> server.
> So, the client machien gets an IP address from the server by DHCP, and it gets
> told to ask the server for DNS queries (which the server then performs and
> returns the results)?
>
>> On the second card i have designated an ip address which is 192.168.1.1
>> and the range on which the client computers can connect 192.168.1.20
>> through 192.168.1.50.
> So, it sounds as though you are using the server as a router, with a public
> address on one interface and a private address on the other.  This doesn't
> explain to me why the client cannot access the Internet through the server,
> acting as a router.
That is why I am asking this group
>> When using squid in firefox it should connect to http://192.168.1.1:3128
>> but it does not...
> You mean, it does not even connect to the proxy, or it does connect and the
> proxy does not work correctly, so you get no content from Internet websites?

That is correct!