[squid-users] Squid is active but not working

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at squid.open.source.it
Mon Aug 16 15:23:17 UTC 2021

On Monday 16 August 2021 at 17:03:57, Peter Thesing wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If there is a a need for additional information please let me know?!

Some additional information would be good, and a lot less HTML would be good
too :)  Just a comment "I got the expected content" is sufficient...

> I am using opensuse 15.1 with 2 network interface cards and apache is
> working squid is active , but giving me the results I need.

Are you using Squid to connect to Apache on that machine, or using Squid to
connect out to the Internet in general?

In other words, what is the relevance of Apache running on this machine?

Also, I do not understand the word "but" in your sentence (but maybe this is
just a language thing).  It makes it sound to me as though something is not
quite right, but then you say "giving you the results you need", so it's
working nicely?

> On my second machine also fitted with opensuse 15.1 but with no internet
> would be able via a proxy e.g. squid to connect to the internet but
> despite all my efforts to no avail.

Tell us a little about your network arrangement:

1. What's the IP address of the client machine (the one with no direct
Internet connection)?

2. What's the internal IP address of the machine running Squid (no need to
tell us its public IP address)?

> When I installed windows 10 it works but on opensuse not?

On the same physical server?

> This I got when using squidclient:
>
> server:/home/peter #squidclient http://peterspretpaleis.xs4all.nl

Is "server" the machine with Squid running on it?

> HTTP/1.1 200 OK

Okay, so it works - no need to show us hundreds of lines of web page source
code :)

What we do need to see though is:

1. How are you testing from the machine that does not work?

2. What shows up in Squid's log files when you try to access a site from the
machine that does not work?

3. What changes have you made to the default Squid configuration file (please do
not send us the entire file - at most please just show us the non-comment
lines)?

On Monday 16 August 2021 at 17:06:39, Peter Thesing wrote:

> By the way the firewall is off

Which firewall?

Do you have a public IP address on your Squid server?  If so I strongly
recommend that you turn your firewall back on again.

Regards,

Antony.

--
"It is easy to be blinded to the essential uselessness of them by the sense of
achievement you get from getting them to work at all. In other words - and

 - Douglas Noel Adams

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.