[squid-users] measuring latency of squid in different scenarios

RafaƂ Stanilewicz rst at fomar.com.pl
Mon Sep 28 13:19:05 UTC 2020

Hello,

I'm planning the deployment of web proxy in my environment. It's not very
big, around 80 typical windows 10 workstations, active directory, plus some
DMZ servers. For now, there is very basic L7 inspection on the edge
firewall.

I plan to use two separate squid instances, one for explicit proxy traffic,
forced by AD GPO settings, and second for traffic still being sent directly
to the Internet (as several applications we use tend to ignore the system
proxy settings). The first instance will use (hopefully) AD authentication,
while the second will use only srcIP-based rules. I will be grateful for
any comments, what should I focus on, or some quirks - I've never deployed
squid from scratch.

But my main point of writing is:

I'd like to get some numbers about squid-introduced latency of getting some
particular web resource. Is there any benchmarking program I could use? I'd
like to see what is the current latency of getting the resource without any
proxying, then of getting the same resource with explicit proxy settings,
then of implicit (intercepting) proxy option, as well as for different
options of caching.

How should I start? Is there any software I can use to measure that,
besides analysis of HAR files?

So far, I used squid only in home environment, and without a need for
granular measurement.

Best regards,

Rafal Stanilewicz