[squid-users] Client <--> Squid <--> FTP usecase

piyush.gaba at orange.com piyush.gaba at orange.com
Thu Sep 17 08:51:02 UTC 2020

Hi All,

I have been working to check squid v4.13 functionality with a FTP.
My use case is simple and it says we have a file on FTP at root and I just have to wget that file from my client.

So I have,

-->Created a file on root of FTP "touch test.txt"
-->Allowed the destination IP of FTP in my squid.conf

Then I have exported proxy on my client as
export ftp_proxy=http://${squid.IP}:${Squid.Port}/
and
Now when I try to download the file like this,
wget -m ftp://<id>:<pass>@${FTP.Prod_IP}/test.txt

I am facing below error on client:

Proxy request sent, awaiting response... 502 Bad Gateway

which indicates that the squid (server acting as a proxy) was not able to get a valid or any response from the FTP server.
So, I tried wget directly from my squid to FTP, it ended in error,

"Logging in as root ... Error in server greeting. Retrying." (which is my concern)

It'd be great, If there is any advice I could get from you guys as about where I am wrong or what am I missing.

Thank You

Bien cordialement,
Piyush Gaba