[squid-users] Best practice for adding or removing ACLs dynamically ?

roee klinger roeeklinger60 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 00:34:38 UTC 2020

Hey,
I have Squid configured to send users to different outgoing interface like so:

..
auth_param basic program /usr/lib/squid/basic_ncsa_auth /etc/squid/htpassword
acl acl_for_user3002 proxy_auth user2
tcp_outgoing_address 192.168.8.12 acl_for_user3002
http_port 3002 name=3002
http_access allow authenticated
..

When I wanted to change the username:password for user2, I run a bash script to change it in squid.conf and also in htpassword and then I run "squid -k reconfigure", if I don't reconfigure the old user still has access to the proxy and the new one doesn't for about 30 minutes.

I am expecting to have 100s of users soon that will change credentials often, and also I would like to blacklist websites often and on the fly, so I was searching for a better way to manage this without reconfiguring every time, since sometimes a reconfigure can take up to 10-15 seconds.

I am new to Squid and wasn't able to find any info on this, am I doing this currently or there is a better way to change users/ACLs on the fly without reloading Squid?

Thanks,
Roee Klinger